Valheim received a big update that’s going to put an end to some of your most nightmarish industrious designs.
Valheim players recently devised a particularly brutal, way-too-efficient machination to farm Greydwarves, one of the game’s enemies. The idea is to build fiery pits that trap Greydwarves as they spawn, infinitely farming them for their parts.
It didn’t take long for players to figure out that it’s cheaper, and more efficient, to build and maintain these fires than going out and hunting the damn things normally. Valheim developer Iron Gate seemingly wasn’t too keen on this industrialisation of Greydwarf farming, because the game’s latest makes them practically useless.
Valheim’s update 0.148.6, available now on Steam, makes it so campfires, bonfires and hearths take damage as they deal damage. In other words, fires can’t go on burning things at the rate they currently do, making designs like the Greydwarf Toaster 5000 obsolete.
The patch also brings a few other welcome fixes and changes. Boss drops will now float on water, making them much easier to grab and much harder to lose. Reinforced chest space can now be 6×4, increasing their total to 24.
In terms of balance, Iron Gate made it so harpoons no longer work on bosses. Battle axes, on the other hand, should now hit multiple enemies in a single move. The patch also updated knockback probabilities to match gear, meaning heavier gear will be much better at reducing knockback.
Those who like to make use of Valheim’s console commands should know that they’ll now have to enter “devcommands” to enable them rather than “imacheater”. The game will now also display a warning when cheats are enabled.
Patch 0.148.6 brings several other fixes, which we’ve included below for you in full.
- Reinforced chest inventory space increased to 6×4.
- All boss drops can now float on water.
- Sunken crypt entrance tweaked (to stop tombstones from getting stuck).
- Fixed rotation of Wood tower shield on item stands.
- Deathsquito & Drake trophy drop rate increased.
- 1 & 2 Star creature HP fix.
- Night-spawning wolves should be easier to tame now (should stop trying to run away & despawn after starting to tame).
- Harpoon does not work on bosses anymore.
- Ingame console disabled by default (add launch argument “-console” to enable).
- The console command for enabling developer/debug commands has been changed to “devcommands” from “imacheater” and a warning message has been added.
- Improved enemy projectile reaction system.
- Battle axe tweaks (hits multiple enemies easier).
- Player knockback force is affected by equipment speed modifiers (IE heavy gear will reduce the knockback from enemies).
- Blackforest stone tower tweaks.
- Ward system fixes (You can no longer place a new ward where an enemy ward overlaps).
- Comfort calculation fixed.
- “Failed to connect” error message fixed.
- Serpent trophy stack fix.
- Missing Moder spawn location in some worlds fixed (NOTE: For existing worlds “genloc” command needs to be run manually in a local game with dev commands enabled to generate new locations, this is only needed if your specific world has this issue, this is not very common).
- Megingjord item-collider fix.
- Added a slight use-delay on Hammer, Hoe & Cultivator.
- Hammer remove auto-repeat added.
- Better network bandwidth handling (should work better on low bandwidth connections & also use higher data rate if possible).
- Dolmen location fixes (Stop top stone from falling for no reason).
- Fixed removing item from item-stand not always syncing item stats.
- Server list refresh button can be pressed before the entire list has been downloaded.
- Better bad connection detection.
- Fixed issue causing server to send more data the longer a client was connected.
- Localization updates.
Valheim has so far sold over 6 million copies. If you’re a regular player, our recent guides on how to mine and smelt scrap iron, and how how to craft item displays and hang trophies should help show off your hard work. Looking for more still? look no further than our Valheim guides.